Memorials - Leyland - United Reformed Church WW1 and WW2 Lamp
Leyland United Reformed Church, Quin Street, Leyland PR25 2TA
Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SD 54297 22334
Imperial War Museum Memorial Database - Ref 42654
War Memorials Online - Ref: N/A
NB: Location of the memorial according to the IWM website is across Hough Lane within a chemist shop. This needs to be updated (2 May 2017)
This is an unusual memorial at the front of the United Reform Church. It is designed as such to light the way for worshipers into the main church building. The memorial cost £100 to build and was dedicated on 10th July 1921 by local dignitaries. The plinth and the main body of the memorial is made from stone, while the lamp is of metal and glass and is powered by electric.
The inscription bears the names and rank of 16 men from the church who died in the First World War and the names of a further 4 who died in the second world war.
FRONT - FACES FRONT DOOR OF CHURCH
1939 - 1945.
F/O. W.V. GREGSON.
SERGT. J. PARKER.
PTE. R.W. STRANGEWAY.
BY THEIR DEATH WE LIVE.
THE MEN OF THIS CHURCH
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
FOR THEIR COUNTRY
IN THE GREAT WAR.
1914 - 1919.
WHO GIVES HIS LIFE
Please email the project with any amendments or corrections
Edited 2 May 2017
Image © Charles O'Donnell 2017