Memorials - Leyland - St.Mary's R.C. WW1 and WW2 Cross
St.Mary's Burial Ground, Worden Lane PR25 1FL
Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SD 53889 21447
Imperial War Museum Memorial Database - Ref 42647
War Memorials Online - Not on site (3 May 2017)
NB: Imperial War Museum Memorial Database has this memorial in the wrong location. It shows the memorial on the opposite side of Worden Lane - this will need amending (3 May 2017)
The memorial stands in the church burial ground on Worden Lane, somewhat apart from the present day St. Marys church which is across Leyland in Broadfield Drive. The wooden cross surmounts a wide, tapering square-set stone plinth. There is a figure of the crucified Christ on the cross. Figures of Our Lady and St. John stand on the plinth below the cross and either side, looking up. The figures appear to be made of a synthetic material and not stone. These figures were originally made of wood, but were replaced in 1992 due to their poor condition. The stone plinth shows some deterioration and flakes of stone are coming away, especially on the right hand side. A stone tablet is affixed to the front of the plinth bearing names and inscription. It contains the names of 18 men who fell in the Great War and 19 men who fell in World War 2.
The memorial was dedicated on 24 June 1951 by local clergy and dignitaries.
THESE MEN OF LEYLAND PARISH,
IN TWO WARS HAVE GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR FREEDOM
1914 - 1918
1939 - 1945
MAY THEY REST IN PEACE
Please email the project with any amendments or corrections
Edited 3 May 2017
Image © Charles O'Donnell 2017