Memorials - Leyland - St.Andrew's C.E. WW1 Plaque
This handsome memorial was unveiled 28 June 1924 by local clergy and dignitaries and dedicated on the same day by Atherton Gwillym Rawstorne (1855-1936), the Bishop Suffragan of Whalley
The memorial takes the form of a wall-mounted gunmetal plaque with embossed lettering and wooden surround. It is situated near the main entrance to the church on a staircase leading to the seats on the upper gallery. This position is relatively new, the memorial having been moved from the original (unknown) location when the church was refurbished around January 2000.
The memorial is in excellent condition. As well as the dedication, it holds the names of 78 local men over two columns.
GLORY OF GOD
AND IN NEVER FADING
MEMORY OF THE MEN
OF THIS PARISH WHO
GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE
ALSO THANKSGIVING FOR THOSE RETURNED.
Please email the project with any amendments or corrections
Edited 2 May 2017
Thank you to the churchwardens at St.Andrews for access to the memorial and the guided tour of the church.
Image © Charles O'Donnell 2017