Memorials - Leyland - St.Ambrose C.E. WW1 Plaque
St. Ambrose C.E. Church, Moss Lane, Leyland PR25 4XA
Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SD 54994 22638
IWM War Memorial Database - Ref 42643
War Memorials Online - Not on site
NB: IWM War Memorial Database has the wrong location for this memorial (3 May 2017)
The dedication of this memorial took place 23 May 1920 and was attended by the relatives and friends of the fallen. The memorial takes the shape of a wall-mounted nowy-headed brass plaque on a wooden mount. It has a decorative border of laurel garland with clover leaves in the corners. A crown is depicted under the inscription "TO THE GLORY OF GOD", and a cross inlaid in marble at the foot, breaking up the border.
There are 62 names on the memorial, arranged over seven columns. The names appear in no particular order.
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
IN HONOURED MEMORY OF THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS OF THE CONGREGATION OF
ST AMBROSE CHURCH
WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 19
JOHN BANNISTER GRAY,
WILLIAM C. N. PRESTON,
JAMES BAMFORD SWARBRICK,
"Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for his friends."
THIS TABLET WAS PLACED HERE
MOTHERS CLASS OF ST.AMBROSE
Please email the project with any amendments or corrections
Edited 3 May 2017
With thanks to Reverend Duncan Clarke and the Curate Louisa McFarlane for access to St.Ambrose.
Image (C) Charles O'Donnell